Begin the Application Process Online
WHO MAY APPLY?
- One party must be a current resident of the county or
- Both parties live out of state.
- If under 18, please call 740-652-7488 for specific requirements.
WHAT DO I NEED TO APPLY?
- $65.00 money order or $67 credit card (includes a $2.00 processing fee)
- Proof of identification: drivers' license, state ID card, passport, military ID
- Proof of residency: If your proof of identification does not show your current address,
please bring a utility bill or statement with your current address.
- Certified copy of birth certificate if 18 or under; no proof of age if 19 or older.
- If either party has been previously married, a certified or file-stamped copy of the most recent divorce or dissolution decree.
- If you are not a U.S. citizen, a passport or resident alien card is required.
- If you have legally changed your name, a certified copy of the judgment entry.
Your license will be issued by mail immediately after the application process has been completed.
WHERE AND HOW LONG IS THE LICENSE VALID?
- License is valid for 60 days from the date issued.
- License is valid anywhere in the state of Ohio, if you are a resident.
- License issued to out-of-state residents are valid only in the county where it was issued.
- A blood test is no longer required.
- There is no longer a waiting period before the license is issued.
- Wedding ceremonies are not performed by the judge or at the courthouse.
If you wish to receive a certified copy of your marriage record, please send:
- A self-addressed, stamped envelope to Fairfield County Probate Court, 224 E. Main Street, Room 308, Lancaster, OH 43130.
- $2.00 per copy requested (cash, check, or money order, payable to Fairfield County Probate Court) To pay by credit card, please call 740-652-7485.
- Include your name and your spouse’s name prior to the marriage, the date you were married, and a contact number.